Do you know how to get fiberglass out of skin? If you ask this question while scratching a certain area of your body after making contact with the said material, you are in urgent. Do not worry; it is not that serious though you could get very irritated.
This page will discuss ways of how to get fiberglass out of skin, but first, how did this material enter your body, by the way? It is a reinforced plastic composed of glass fibers, which embedded in a resin matrix. Due to its versatility, people use it to be one of the building components of many things.
It is combined to be in a blanket of rolls and batts, loose-fill, duct insulation, and rigid boards. With this massive use even in daily items, no wonder fiberglass particles could enter your body without being realized.
Artisans, who work with fiberglass insulation, always wear protective gears and attires, such as gloves, goggles, long clothes, and mask when doing the job. They do so to avoid themselves from getting in any contact with these material particles.
However, it is not possible to wear protective attires when you are just lying on the bed to avoid being contacted with this reinforced plastic material from a quilt, for example. Therefore, knowing how to get fiberglass out of skin is the alternative of preventive measurements. However, before we get down to the methods, you should know how your body reacts to fiberglass exposure.
Body Reaction to Fiberglass Insulation on Skin
As stated previously, you could get very irritated when fiberglass particles make a contact with your body though it is not a major pain or damage.
1) Itching sensation – you will start to scratch the affected area once the particles enter your body.
2) Allergy symptoms – if you happen to be allergic to fiberglass, break out will occur within 12–72 hours after the contact, unfortunately. It could happen for days or, worse, for weeks, depending on how severe it is.
The most common symptoms are a burning sensation on the affected area, blisters containing liquid like pus, breathing difficulties like that of asthma, coughing, dry skin with scales, skin hives, and sun sensitivity.
How to Get Fiberglass Out of Skin
What is the best way to get fiberglass out of your skin? There will be various methods, some of them are explained below.
1. Using Tweezers or a Needle
The first way to remove the visible particles of fiberglass on skin is by using a pair of tweezers or a needle. The steps are as follows.
- Wash the area where fiberglass infection happens, using soap under the running water.
- Take a pair of tweezers and soak in alcohol to sterilize. Then, remove the visible particles using them.
- If the tweezers cannot remove the particles, replace them with a needle. Sterilize it first by soaking in alcohol.
- Once you succeed in removing the particles, press the area gently to let out the germs in the blood. This way, infection could be prevented. After that, apply some antibiotic cream to give double prevention treatment.
- If no steps above work out, you should visit the doctor immediately. Precaution: do not try to let it out yourself.
2. Have a Cold Shower
How do you get fiberglass insulation out of your skin by taking a bath under a cold shower? Just bathe like usual for two minutes. This method is believed to close up skin pores. You need this step to prevent the particles from getting any deeper. Right after you have done taking a cold shower, bathe in hot shower consecutively. Ensure the water temperature is mild instead of hot. This way is believed to open the pores and let the fiberglass particles out.
3. Use Epsom Salt
Here is how to get fiberglass out of skin effectively using Epsom salt.
- Put a bowl of water to boil and add a handful of Epsom salt. Stir the solution to blend them in completely and let it sit to cool.
- If the fiberglass particles affect a large area, take a bath in this solution. On the other hand, if the affected area is small, like in your finger, soak it into the solution. Besides removing the source of pain, it could also be a homemade remedy for the itching sensation.
- Take a cold shower right after that for a better outcome.
4. Use Heavy Sticking Tape
Using tape here is how to get fiberglass out of skin.
1) You are going to need a heavy sticking tape that does not rip apart easily. The stickier it is, the more effective it will be.
2) Good lighting and a magnifying glass might be as well needed to support your vision. The particles you are going to pull out are commonly yellow or white.
3) Using this method, do not wash the affected area first since water could cause the particles harder to remove. Stick the tape while your skin is dry right after being contacted with the fiberglass.
4) Push the tape with strength upon the affected area. Keep it there for a couple of minutes before you start to pull. Only after then, you could begin removing the tape.
5) Pull off the tape carefully without force. You could repeat the process a couple of times until the itching sensation is gone and the particles are completely removed.
5. Nylon Stockings
Nylon cloth could get fiberglass out of skin effectively. Take a hot shower first to open up your pores before using this method. After that, rub the stockings against the affected area to remove the particles. Once they are removed, apply some baby oil or lotion to your skin to soothe the infected area as well as prevent further irritation and itching sensation.
After finding out how to get fiberglass out of skin, you know now what to do once you are exposed to its particles. Being careful is the key because prevention is always better than cure. However, knowing the remedy is also important to give first aid treatment in case something bad happens.